The present thesis undertakes a closer look at the former lawn tennis courts of the aristocratic families of Esterházy and Batthyány located near what is now the border between Austria and Hungary.The approach to historical gardens proposed in this masters thesis is aiming to study the parks in question from the point of view of how they are/were actively experienced and utilized as places of leisure. The main goal of the thesis is to verify the existence of the former tennis courts and provide the best possible documentation thereof. The emergence of lawn tennis began in England at the end of the 1860s. The new game celebrated its social breakthrough in 1873-74. Lawn tennis courts at the estates of the aristocracy on Austro-Hungarian soil were established already in the 1880s. The first archetypes of temporary English lawn courts were soon followed by the durable hard courts, better suited to the continental climate. The continual search for ever better surfaces led to a high degree of variety among construction methods over time, also making their dating possible. In nine of the thirteen manor house gardens, the existence or rather the establishment of tennis courts up to the Second World War could be proved. In the other cases, evidence of former courts exists yet is inconclusive. The surface material of approximately six courts could also be identified. Court furnishings and their rests have not survived in any of the cases. From the ascertained nine courts none exist today. These results underscore the increasing importance and urgency of further research on former tennis courts and their furnishings in manor house gardens, both from the point of view of garden history and landscaping. These forgotten courts not only played an important role in private social life at the time of their construction; they also bear important witness today to the emergence of modern sports in the palace gardens of the late 19th century.